Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Door County Travel Guide

Door County is my place. I have mentioned it countless times on this blog and I can never seem to be there enough. I have decided to share my favorite places to eat, shop, and explore. Since Fish Creek and Sister Bay are the two biggest towns, I will focus most of the information there and include some things from Ephraim and Egg Harbor as well. 



Eat
Fish Creek
White Gull Inn Restaurant- There is rarely a time when we don't come here for breakfast. The cherry stuffed french toast is what it is famous for, but everything on the menu is good. My favorite include cherry pancakes, coffee cake, french toast and hash browns. 


Craic Coffee- If you are looking for your morning coffee come here. They serve Collectivo coffee with some great variations of drinks. The bakery and lunch items are also really good. I love the cherry almond muffins. 

Singing Donut- Don't miss this place. You get to customize donuts that are fresh out of the fryer. I love vanilla glaze with raspberry drizzle. The coffee is very good as well and probably the least expensive I've ever bought. 

The Cookery- Be prepared for a wait if you go here. The food is very good and typical fare for Door County. (ie cherry or fish based) There is something on the menu for everyone and I love going on the weekdays so there is no wait. 

Dippy's Ice Cream Shop- Best ice cream around. They serve massive scoops of Chocolate Shoppe ice cream and don't charge insane prices. I love grabbing ice cream and then people watching in Founder's Square. 

Bayside Tavern- My family has been eating here since my dad was a kid. The food is always great. I would recommend the cheese curds to everyone, and my family really likes the chili as well. I've never had a bad thing here. 

Greenwood Supper Club- A classic supper club that only people who are local or have been going up for years know about. I love the fried perch, and the whitefish is know to be amazing as well. 

Sister Bay
Analog Ice Cream & Coffee- This place has amazing affagados with a twist. They don't use vanilla ice cream; they let you pick your flavor. I love picking a caramel based ice cream which compliments the espresso very nicely. 

Grasse's Grill- I went here for the first time this summer and loved it. I had a meatball sandwich which was surprisingly good. Everything on the menu looked appealing from the salads to the burgers. 

JJ's La Puerta- Go to JJ's if you have time in Sister Bay and want a bar food type of lunch. The cheese curds are amazing and so are the milkshakes. This is my favorite place to go after boating. (a word of warning: the last time I went it wasn't very good, but that was the first time it happened in over 5 years)

Other Locations 
The Chef's hat (Ephraim)- This a great place for lunch where you really get your money's worth. The servings are really big and all of the food is delicious. The chips were clearly homemade with amazing seasoning and the pies were worth saving room for. 


Stay 
The White Gull Inn- My grandparents have stayed here and loved it. It is really only for couples as there are only rooms with queen/king beds. It is right in Fish Creek which is great and being above an amazing breakfast place helps. 

Applecreek Resort- I've stayed here once and remember it being nice. It is a typical hotel, but the rooms are cute and being close to town makes it easy access. 

Peninsula State Park- Camping at the park is really popular since you are right outside of Fish Creek. There are several other camping locations in the area so you can easily find one that fits your needs. 

VRBO- This is my favorite option. By renting a place, you can have a kitchen which allows you to save money for other activities. Also, many times there are pools if you rent a condo which are fun as there are no public pools around. 


Shopping 
Fish Creek
Trails End Clothing Company- A cute clothing store with some fun dresses and yoga clothes. The selection is a little random but I never fail to find something cute. 

Wilkins & Olander- If you are interested in Vera Bradley this is your place. There is a wall full of Vera, and a big sale section in the back where you can find deals up to 50% off!

On Deck Clothing- This is one of the few stores in WI that sell Vineyard Vines, Southern Tide and Lilly Pulitzer. The downside is that they only stock up once or twice so make sure you go early in the year if you want anything. 

Sister Bay
Bay Shore Outfitters- An outdoor based store with several brands such as North Face and Patagonia. They also sell/rent paddle boards, kayaks and ski gear. 

Egology Sports- Another outdoorsy store. You can find Patagonia and similar brands. They also have cute yoga apparel as well. 

Egg Harbor
Shartner's Farm Market- This is my favorite place. The owners are the nicest people. There fresh food is always delicious, but the best part is the pies. I love the three berry pie to the point that I buy extra to freeze for the winter!

Blacksmith Clothing- This a newer store with some cute clothes. It is a nice change from some of the older, unchanging places. 


To Do
Harbor Walks- Each town has a harbor and it is always fun to walk around, preferably with ice cream, and admire the water and the boats.

Beach- There are public beaches all over the place and it can be a great way to cool off on hot days. Some have kayak and paddle board rentals that can add to the experience. 

Peninsula State Park- If you enjoy hiking or biking, or even just pretty views, the park is the perfect place. There are several trails for hiking, and in the winter they are converted for skiing!

Water Sports- There are several places that you can rent kayaks and paddle boards for a day or two. With the water being so accessible, it is a great way to spend a nice day. 


Things to Skip 
Wilson's Restaurant & Ice Cream- This is a classic tourist location with overpriced ice cream and long waits. I had to wait 15 min to get my ice cream, and it wasn't homemade or anything special. It is not worth the time. 

Visit Lighthouses- A lighthouse is cool and maybe you want to see one, but they are all really similar so there are better uses of time if yours is limited. 

Let me know if you've visited Door County!
xoxo,
Maddie

1 comment :

  1. After reading your post I can say one thing for sure that it was one of the creative and informative posts which I have read on this month and I feel glad that I have come across to your post and able to gain such kind of information. So cheers to the great work and hope that there is some more stuff to come in future also.
    Trend Forecasting

    ReplyDelete