Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Thanksgiving Eats

Seeing as Thanksgiving is primarily based around food, I figured it would be fun to share some of what I had. I had a lot of fun taking pictures the various foods, especially since the lighting in my families kitchen is so good. My favorite part of my thanksgiving break was being able to make a bunch of different things with my mom. For a Thanksgiving with only five people, we sure managed to cook a lot. 


For lunch on Thanksgiving we made shrimp cocktail with a hearts of palm salad. I love shrimp cocktail. It was the perfect meal before a dinner as big as a Thanksgiving feast. Filling, yet you are ready for dinner when it comes around.  I ended up eating leftover shrimp cocktail for most of the weekend to give you can idea of how much I love it. 


For as long as I can remember, pumpkin nut muffins have been one of my favorite parts of thanksgiving. Most people have corn bread or rolls, but we have never failed to have my muffins. This year, an important part of the muffin (one of its mixes) was discontinued, so they were an experiment. Thankfully they turned out just as good as always and I ate way to many like usual. 


As an appetizer this year, we made Gougeres. They are cheese puffs, and always a hit with my family.  They are really simple to make, but taste amazing. Anything that is puffy and cheesy will always be a winner in my book. 


This isn't everything we had for Thanksgiving, have no fear, but it gives an idea of what I eat. Pictured is the turkey (duh), angle biscuits and sweet potato-apple puree. I am not really a big turkey  fan so I tend to stick to the sides for my overall meal. The sweet potato-apple puree has always been one of my favorites, even when I hated sweet potatoes. It is sweet, creamy and doesn't taste as healthy as it actually is. (all of which make it a good side) Not pictured: broccoli, gravy, and cranberry sauce. 


Last but not least, the dessert. Pictured is the pecan pie, and we also made apple pie. In my opinion, dessert is always the best part of thanksgiving so why not go all out. My sister tried the pecan pie for the first time this year and loved it, which means that I can make it more often! In the past, pecan pie was a dessert only my mom and I would enjoy so we only made it once a year. 

Here was a peek into what I made and ate over Thanksgiving break. It was so nice to be home with my family and away from all of the stress of college. Also, if you want to check out what else I have been up to, here is the most recent article I wrote for Spoon University- UW Madison. Check it out and let me know what you think. (Hint: it is also on Thanksgiving)

Now all I have to do is wait until Christmas break to bake some more...
xoxo,
Maddie

No comments :

Post a Comment