Sunday, September 24, 2017

Mastering the Farmer's Market

As you know, I love any and every farmer's market. I adore getting fresh produce and baked goods for the week. Now that I am in college, going to the farmer's market means that I will actually have good food to eat over the week. Each Saturday morning I wake up, make a coffee to go, and then meander my way to the market. The market has been my favorite part of the summer for as long as I can remember so here are the lessons I have learned over the years. 

| Bring Cash |
This seems like an obvious thing to say, but you don't want to find yourself eyeing up a muffin when you only have a dollar. Bringing cash ahead of time means that you can avoid ATM fees and make the most of the time you set aside. 


| Bring Your Own Bags |
Not all vendors have bags, and bringing your own means that you don't have to walk around with a bunch of plastic bags. I like to bring a canvas bag, since they are sturdier and I like how the look. Finally, bringing your own bags is more environmentally friendly which is never a bad thing.

| Don't Buy Right Away |
Make sure to walk around the whole market (depending on size) before you buy anything. There are so many reasons for this. 1) It sucks to buy something then see the same thing for less money 2) It makes the time at the market longer 3) This allows you to scope out the best looking product of your choice.


| Ask For a Sample |
If there is something that you haven't tried, don't be afraid to ask to try something. If they say no, oh well, but most times they will gladly give you one. Just last weekend, I had to ask to try a plum and needless to say, I walked away with some amazing plums.  

| Get Heavy Things Last | 
The last thing you want to do is buy a melon and then have to lug it around. Just make sure to take note of the price for the heavier things so you don't run out of money. Also, keep one bag empty for later so you can keep the heavy things in one bag so they don't squash any lighter foods. 


| Treat Yourself |
It is unimaginable to me that one could go to a farmer's market and not get something for breakfast. At home, I loved getting an egg roll or hand pie, and in Madison, I've gotten an amazing sticky buns and scones. I make my treat breakfast for the day and then I may or may not get something for later as well. 

Whether you decide to go alone or with friends, the farmer's market is my favorite way to spend a Saturday morning. What is not love about fresh air, local produce, and baked goods? 

Tell me how your trip to the market is!
xoxo,
Maddie

No comments :

Post a Comment