Tuesday, September 19, 2017

10 Things I Miss

It is crazy to think that I've been away from home now for three weeks as of tomorrow. These weeks have gone by so quickly, which I am thankful for because it hasn't always been great. That being said, being away from home for so long is weird since I am such a homebody. I am proud of how well I have adjusted, but let's be real I still miss home. It always hits me at random times, and as you'll see, some of the things I miss are just as random. 


1. My Family
I feel like this goes without saying. I thought I would miss my family right away, but I barely thought about them unless I was talking or texting one of them. Then, all of the sudden it hit me that they aren't just around the corner for me. 

2. Working Wifi
This sounds really random, I know. Wisconsin's wifi has been a mess for the past week and right now all I want is to be able to looking something up without having to worry about whether or not anything works. Super random, I know. 

3. Company at meals. 
It is so weird to eat alone for every meal. I eat breakfast in my dorm (the foods better), lunch while studying, and then I just have dinner whenever I am done studying. Conversations over meals make them so much nicer and longer. 

4. Privacy with Dorm Showers
 My dorm shower is the worst. There is no gap between the communal area and the shower so I have the choice of either getting my robe sopping wet or hoping that there is no one outside when I need to grab my robe. It adds excitement to my day that I didn't want. 

5. Air Conditioning  
It has been 80 degrees recently and I am not thrilled. There is only so much that having the windows open with a fan going can do. I have had to sleep without covers, which I dislike, and just being in the room is uncomfortable. Let's just say I am ready for the cold. 

6. Ability to Drive  
I have walked over 15,000 steps everyday I've been here and let me tell you, it is tiring. It is a 25 minute walk to the Tri Delta house, and a 15 minute walk to the Memorial Union, which is where I do all of my homework. I love to walk, but boy, would I love to be able to just get somewhere at a reasonable pace. 

7.  Ice 
I really only like to drink water with ice, but sadly I have had to learn how drink iceless water. My water pickiness has finally come to an end. The ice machine doesn't work with my Swell water bottle which means no ice for me. I really miss the ease of ice, it was luxury I didn't know I had. 

8. Cooking
I knew I would miss cooking. Being limited to a microwave and fridge is hard, especially when you can't use the microwave when the roommate is sleeping. The dorm room recipes online aren't helpful, like I don't want to buy a package of eggs for one egg. TBH, I just want to make warm muffins.

9. My Best Friends
Meeting new people is great, but you are in a weird place for a while where you can't get to deep about anything. There is nothing like the relationship you make by being friends with someone forever. I miss being able to just say anything and not worry about making the wrong impression. 

10. Mom's Cooking
This is the one I missed right away. The dining hall food is subpar, especially since I am used to high quality food. All I want is breaded chicken, steak or a real dessert. I would take even some of my least favorite meals, if it meant that it was homemade and not from the dining hall. 

Even though I miss a lot, I can't say I would go back to high school for it. I love the independence that I have. I like having less class, even if they are more work. There is so much happening that there is rarely time to miss more than one of these at a time. College hasn't been all rainbows and butterflies for me, but it has been an interesting and exciting change none the less. 

What do you miss from home?
xoxo,
Maddie

No comments :

Post a Comment