Sunday, August 5, 2018

Avocado Toast Six Ways

     I can't believe that I used to hate avocados... and I mean hate! If something had avocado, you could guarantee I wouldn't touch it. That changed a couple of years ago when I tried sushi for the first time, and there was a bit a avocado in it. I could appreciate how the textures worked together. Since then I have been liking avocados more and more, to the point that now I will eat avocado toast at least four times a week. 
      Avocado toast has become my go-to meal, along with scrambled eggs, for when I have no idea what to eat. Any meal of the day works for me, but I love it the most with breakfast when I have a big bowl of fruit on the side. This summer I have come up with several different variations on avocado toast that I like, and these six are my favorites. 


      My absolute favorite on this list is the toast with Aleppo pepper and sea salt. It is so simple, but adds. a little spice to the toast. Aleppo pepper is one of my favorite seasonings because it isn't as hot as regular red pepper flakes, but still adds the same flavor profile to the toast. 
      For lunch, I really like making a greek avocado toast with cherry tomatoes, feta with a drizzle of olive oil. One piece of this toast is filling enough to be a lunch, and flavorful enough that you will wish you made more and more of this toast. I also add sea salt and pepper, but I do that with all savory toasts.
     For breakfast, I typically add flaxseed to my avocado, unless I am using a flax bread. I like the nutty flavor of flax, and put it in everything from on top of my pancakes to in my parfaits. The fruit I put on top varies, but I have found that blueberries are probably my favorite fruit for on top of avocado toast. (strawberries are a close second)
     The other three toasts I still make a lot, but not as often mainly because of the work. For the roasted corn avocado toast, this normally happens on a Saturday because then I can buy a cup of roasted corn from the farmers market and not have to do that myself. With the strawberry toast, I prefer to use in season produce, so that was eaten a lot in the early summer, while some thing like the cucumbers with Aleppo pepper is eaten now.
     Avocado toast is something that is so easy to eat, I now understand why so many people love it. I can't believe how long I thought avocados were one of the worst things ever, and I even made fun of my mom for eating it on bread. Now I am making up for lost time and enjoying my avocados in some form almost daily, but avocado toast will never fail to be there in my hour of hunger.

What do you like on your avocado toast?
xoxo,
Maddie

No comments :

Post a Comment