Saturday, August 18, 2018

What I Eat In a Day: Summer Edition

I love eating in the summer more than any other season. This year, I have loved it even more because it means I have greater access to fresh produce (ie my parents are paying for it, unlike in school) and I  can make almost anything I was since kitchen access isn't limited. Summer is also the time of year when all of my favorite foods are in season. I absolutely love peaches, berries and tomatoes. This summer I have found myself eating more and more produce. My mom and I have fun counting the different types of fruit and veggies we get in a day... once it got up to 14! With that being said, here is an idea of what I like to eat in the average day.

Breakfast is really one of two options everyday. I like to either have avocado toast with a bunch of different fruits, or scrambled eggs with veggies and fruit on the side. For this day, I wanted to try adding cherries with avocado, so I topped 1/2 a slice of homemade gluten free flax bread with that, and the other just had sea salt and pepper. For fruit, I had peaches, blueberries and more cherries. 

I really had no idea about what I wanted to eat for lunch. This is always the hardest time of day for me to decide on what I want. I try to eat something before I get too hangry (its real and really bad). It doesn't need to be big since I figure I can always have a snack later before work. Today I made a mock shrimp cocktail with pre-cooked shrimp and sauce made of a mix of ketchup and horseradish. We finally had pre-cooked shrimp in the house so I new I had to make this. We had just gotten some plums as well, so I added those on the side because I could. 

I didn't have work today, so I didn't need to have a snack but since I was hungry after having a small lunch I decided to have some plums (again) and apricots to get me through until dinnertime. I knew I really liked what was for dinner so I wanted to be hungry for it. If I do work, I typically have skyr from Icelandic Provisions. I just tried it this summer, and I love it more than Siggi's or any other yogurt. It tastes better, is smoother and keeps me full for a long time. 

Whenever I am home for dinner I typically get what I want if I ask early enough. My mom is trying to make all of my favorites before I go to school (isn't she great?) so tonight was burger bowls. This recipe is from Taste of Home Magazine . I have always loved her burgers in the summer and this gives me a fun, gluten free way to enjoy them. I added tomatoes, avocado, cucumber and pickles to my bowl which begins with lettuce. The sauce is really great too, just a mixture of ranch and ketchup. Don't knock until you try it.

This was a pretty typical day for me, the only big change is that I wasn't working. If I was, dinner would probably be either eggs with veggies or some sort of toast. I was able to get all of the fruit and veggies that I wanted ( 9 different kinds!), and every meal was something I really enjoyed eating. That combined is what I call a great day.

I am thinking about starting a What I Ate Wednesday or Tuesday's Eats with the idea of showing what I typically eat, and maybe giving ideas on how to change things up. What do you think of that idea?

What is your favorite things to eat in the summer?
xoxo,
Maddie 

No comments :

Post a Comment