Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Guide to Longboat Key, Florida


I have been going on vacation to Longboat for the last 10 years and it has become one of my favorite places to be. Even though in all technicality I am a tourist, it doesn't feel like it which is really nice. Longboat Key is an island right off the coast of Sarasota. This allows easy access to a bigger city while still having the island feel. Most of the things that I have listed below aren't actually on Longboat Key, but in the surrounding area. With that being said here we go...




Where to Eat

The Salty Dog- This is a classic tourist destination, but don't let that stop you from going. It is right on the water which makes for some amazing views. When I was younger I used to get my meals served in a frisbee which I thought was so cool.  They serve good burgers and there is always some sort of fish sandwich or mussels which the fish lovers of my family really like. 

Portofino*- Portfolio is a cute little Italian restaurant. They serve great fish, but my favorites are the lemon veal, margarita pizza and calamari. There is also always amazing desserts here. I can always count on them for a good chocolate cake or some great gelato. 

Le Macaron- Even thought this place isn't a specialty to the  
Longboat Key area, it is one of my favorites to go to because it isn't near where I live. It is so fun to grab some macaron and sit outside watching the tourists around St. Armand's Circle.



Where to Shop

St. Armand's Circle- I adore the circle. It is a huge round about with shops all around it. There is Lilly Pulitzer (!). Sperry, Shore, a hammock place and so many others. My favorite places to shop are Lilly and a preppy store called Island Pursuit which has Vineyard Vines and Southern Tide. 

University Town Center- UTC is a big mall right by Sarasota. It has a Lilly Pulitzer, Dillard's, J. Crew, Lulu Lemon, and more. There are also a bunch of places to eat, so it makes for a fun day trip.

What to do

 The Mote Marine-The Mote is a research based aquarium which I would totally recommend. It is known for its shark research so there is a whole area with sharks you can see. The great thing about the Mote is that most of the animals there were found injured in the wild. The Mote helped them back to health, but if they could go back they stayed at the Mote. My favorite part of it is the manatees. Manatees have always been my favorite animal so I love the two there. 

 Beach- Longboat and the surrounding islands are known for the stunning beaches. With some of the softest sand and warm water, I spend most of my time at one of the area beaches.

Ringling Museum- There are about 4 parts to the Museum: the art galleries, the mansion, circus museum and the gardens. The Ringling Museum is on the property of John Ringling who made the Ringling Circus. He and his wife had an extravagant life, with a big house (which you can tour) and a lot of travel and art. I love touring his house because of how fun and crazy it is. I also think the art is interesting because it is impressive how much art they accumulated for being only two people. This is totally worth the cost of admission to see all of the museum. 

Parasailing- This is such a fun thing to do. Once you are in the air, it is so calm and peaceful. You can see for miles around. With luck, you can see turtles, dolphins or manatees in the water below you. This is something you could easily do as an afternoon or morning adventure.



Where to Stay

Longboat Key Club and Resort*- I don't stay at this hotel since to use my grandparents house, but since they are club members we get to use all the facilities of the resort. This place is so great. There beach is kept really clean and there are always helpful staff around. Also, by staying here you have access to about 5 restaurants on the island for guests only, most of which are amazingly good.

Rent- There are so many places to rent around the area. Most of the people are snow bird which means that they only live in Florida in the winter. In the summer there are a lot of open homes or condos available to rent through many different websites.


xoxo,
Maddie

(* must be a member or guest of the Longboat Key Club & Resort to use)

1 comment :