Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Tuesday's Eat #3

Last What I Ate with food from home! This is from Saturday as the combination of moving in and getting myself all set for the new semester was enough to make a very random eating schedule. This day I made a point of eating all of my favorite foods and I knew it was the last time I would be able to eat so many fruits and veggies for a while. This is a classic example of what I eat on a weekend. Everything is a little nicer than a week day as there are more people are to make meals enjoyable. Here's what I ate: 



Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs + Cherry Biscotti + Pineapple + Raspberries + Grapefruit + Green Smoothie

Going into this breakfast I knew I was going to have my biscotti and all of the fruits I could find. I added the eggs for some protein because just fruit wasn't going to hold me over until lunch. I loved this breakfast because it was my last relaxing breakfast with my mom where we just sat over coffee (and green juice) and chatted. 

 Lunch: Kale Quinoa Soup + Kale Chips + Tomato Slices

When asked what I wanted for lunch this day, my response was simply "Kale" so kale it was. The soup was hearty and filling without being heavy. The chickpeas and quinoa kept me full. This was also my first time trying kale chips and let me say, I'm a fan.

 Dinner: Salmon w/ Orange Dressing + Wild Rie + Roast Cauliflower + Grated Carrot Salad (carrot  râpées

This dinner wasn't anything crazy fancy, but it was so good. Each element was done simply, but perfectly. This was some of the best salmon my mom has made in a while; I really don't think it could be better. Adding grated carrots on top of the salmon with oranges made for a really interesting flavor combination. Between the food and the conversation for this dinner, it was a great way to end my winter break. 

Dessert: Peach Crisp w/ Vanilla Ice Cream

Last but not least, there is no such thing as no dessert at my house. My mom always tries to think of something special for dessert at least a couple times a week. Over the summer, my mom froze fresh peach crisp filling so all we had to do was make a quick oat-based topping and this lovely dessert was ready. 

Of all days, this set of food really shows what a labor of love cooking is for my mom. She put so much thought into what she made so that it was all of my favorite foods. The number one reason I dislike going back to school is that the quality of food decreases so much. It is seriously one of my biggest wishes to become as good of a cook as she is. 

Stay hungry! 
xoxo,
Maddie

No comments :

Post a Comment