Monday, May 7, 2018

What I Eat in a Day- Low FODMAP

I love reading about what people eat, or reading anything about food. I decided to share what I eat in a day since even though I have tons of restrictions I still mange to eat well. Being on the low FODMAP diet means eating in the dining hall is pretty much impossible. No dairy, gluten, beans, garlic/onion seasoning and specific produce means that there is never anything I can eat. Schools are supposed to help you, but I got no help after contacting the dining services. Thankfully I have been making my own food for most of the year so I was already used to it. I have had to be more creative with my meals, but that part has been fun. 


| Breakfast |
My favorite breakfast has always been a parfait, so I have made a low FODMAP version. These days I have lactose free yogurt, 10 strawberries and a 1/4-1/3 cup of peanut butter granola. I love this breakfast because I can get some fruit which isn't always easy on this diet. All fruit servings are limited and I can only eat one type at a time to limit fructose intake. This breakfast is also great for the protein. It gets me through to lunch or my morning snack. 

| Lunch |
I meal prep a lunch every week to make getting ready in the morning easier. This week was a kale quinoa salad with a lemon olive oil dressing. I added almonds (10) and a clementine to make it more filling, and again, add some fruit. I typically make some kind of kale salad because it keeps me full depending on what I put in it, and it makes for a bigger size lunch.

| Snack(s) |
I typically have a snack in the morning and the afternoon. Since one of the symptoms I had of IBS is losing weight, and I was training for a 20K, I needed to make sure I was getting enough calories to at least keep my weight stable. My favorite snack is rice cakes with nut butter and 1/2 a banana. I also like to have corn chips with a homemade salsa or popcorn. I always have to make sure my backpack is full of snacks because there is almost nothing around campus that I can eat if I get hungry.


| Dinner |
This dinner was gluten free pasta with a homemade tomato sauce and spinach. The tomato sauce I made with tomato paste, water, carrots for sweetness, and Italian seasoning. It was a little runnier than a typical sauce but it was still really good. For this week, I pretty much ate this every day since I made so much sauce. Sometimes for a dessert I will have a small amount of dark chocolate, but normally my eating ends with dinner.

I might have a really restricted diet, but I am pleased that I was able to maintain my level of eating. Being placed on this diet was really intimidating because it seemed like all I was able to eat was plain meat and rice. Although that has been dinner some days, I have found that a little experimenting has allowed me to eat well, ultimately eating my way to being healthy.

What is your favorite snack?
xoxo,
Maddie 


No comments :

Post a Comment