Monday, May 14, 2018

Madison Coffee Shop Guide

It is only fitting that when ending my freshman year of college, I write a post on all of the coffee shops I went to. I made it my goal for freshman year to try as many different coffee shops as possible. I feel like I would be lying if I didn't say that I probably spent way more money on coffee than on any else. Anytime I felt like I needed to get away, I would take a hike (i.e. a 20+ min walk) for a new environment and a good cup of coffee. Over the year I have tried as many places as possible, not all have been good, but don't worry, I am only sharing my favorite places.


| Fair Trade Coffee House |
What I had: Decaf Turkish Latte
At first sip, the cardamom in the latte came through a little strong, but after a couple more sips this drink settled into a delightful spiced coffee. I have never seen a Turkish Latte (Cardamom added) so this was a fun and unique drink to try. This coffee house also had some really good looking muffins, pastries and other drinks such as a chai charger and a grasshopper mocha. I didn't get the pumpkin muffin that was calling my name, but that is only because it was already 5 at night which really isn't a time for snacks. The best part about this place- a fireplace. There is nothing better than a warm drink while sitting by the fire in the winter.


| Indie Coffee |
What I had: Spiced Chai & Classic Buttermilk Waffle
This place is the cutest, with the sweetest people. It seemed like the owner knew who almost everyone was, and was really helpful in making sure I knew how to find the drink selection. It doesn't have a ton of seating, but there are pretty wooden tables and a cozy vibe. My waffle was perfectly crispy on the outside, while being warm and gooey on the inside. It was the perfect waffle. The chai was spicy, but had a touch of sweetness the made for the perfect pair with the waffle. Indie also has a cute little back patio that is perfect for when the weather is nice and warm.


| Collective Coffee |
What I had: Cortado
Collective is a local chain, which means that they have about 10 locations around the state of Wisconsin. I have had their coffee before, and only once before have I actually been at a coffee shop.  I don't love their plain coffee, for me there is something about the flavor that is off. What I do like is their specialty drinks, especially the monthly special. It is a great way to try out a new drink to stay out of a rut. That being said, for Christmas I got a gift card for here and it might have been my favorite gift. This wasn't my favorite place, but the location on state street and the open, outdoor feeling makes for a fun environment.


| Michelangelo's Coffee House |
What I Had: Appie Pie & Cafe au Lait
Michelangelos has some of the best desserts. I had the Apple Pie since it was Pi Day (3/14) so finding a pie to eat was necessary. That, plus a warm coffee, was the perfect way to spend an afternoon. The pie was amazing. It was warm, with a flakey crust and the sweet whipped cream only made it even better. I have had several coffees from here, and they never disappoint. My only complaint is that I feel like going here is more expensive, especially for any specialty drinks, but it isn't so bad every once in a while.


| Barriques Market |
What I Had: Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie & Cold Brew
Barriques is my favorite that I found this year. They have several locations around the area, and all of them are great. There is a relaxed vibe and the people are always nice. First of all, lets talk about this cookie, it is amazing. Even though it is gluten free, it might just be better than any other chocolate chip cookie. It really is that good. Also, I love the presentation of their drinks. I appreciate getting a glass when I am staying there, even if I am getting iced coffee. When I got a cafe au last once, I had the same kind of glass. It looked so cool because you could see the layering of the foam and coffee. There is a Barriques really close to where I am living next year, which means that I will be there all of the time.


| Crescendo Espresso Bar |
What I Had: Nitro Cold Brew
I probably won't go back to Crescendo a lot, but that is mainly because it will be really far away next year. That being said, this place does have its merits. The biggest point-it is cheaper than anywhere else, while still having good drinks. It also is just a really cool place. They have performers come sometimes This way my first time trying nitro cold brew, and I really liked it. The coffee was smooth and creamy, with the added fun of a little foam. Definitely worth a try for any iced coffee drinkers.

By the end of the year, I found that if I went out for coffee once a week, that the whole week would be a lot more productive. I know this was really just because I changed studying locations so I didn't get bored, which I could have done by going to a different library, but coffee was the better idea. Every Wednesday, going out for coffee was what I looked forward too so I hope I can continue this next year and try some new places.

What do you look for in a coffee shop?
xoxo,
Maddie 


No comments :

Post a Comment