Friday, May 15, 2020

52 in 52: Week 19

It doesn't take much looking around the blog to tell I like pancakes a lot. It is pretty much once a week that I try out a new pancake recipe, but I have yet to find the perfect one for me. For the longest time I have had a bag of  Birch Benders Keto Pancake Mix sitting around in my cupboard. I got it as a gift, tried it once according to the packaging directions and thought it was okay. The almond flour taste was really strong, and the pancake was grainy. I had tucked the mix away a forgot about it. 


I rediscovered the mix a couple of weeks ago, and had been thinking of how I could mess around with it so that I would actually like eating it. I hate throwing away good food, so I knew I was going to eat it one way or another. I added 1/3 c. mix, 1 egg and then almond milk until it made a thick pancake batter. I then let it sit as I heated up an 8" skillet. I poured in all of the batter to make one large pancake, and covered the pan with a lid. I find that this helps the pancake fluff up a little more and it also helps it cook through completely. 

This makes an amazing pancake. It was fully cooked through, something I find that is a problem with grain-free pancakes, and it was really thick and fluffy. I think the egg helped tone down the taste of the almond flour as well. This pancake was also really filling, between the protein in the egg and the mix, I was completely full until lunch time. If you have the keto pancake mix, I would highly recommend trying to make it with this method. I think this would also work well with any other pancake mix, so I'd be interest to hear how it works. 

Until next time, 
Maddie

No comments :

Post a Comment