Friday, May 8, 2020

52 in 52: Week 18

By the time this is posted, finals are officially over! It's been a long week (+) of studying, dealing with unhelpful professors and trying to keep life together without going crazy. Normally finals is made better by studying with friends, taking coffee/lunch breaks together and just having someone to complain to. This year that was obviously wasn't that. Snapchat/texting/whatever just isn't the same, so finals felt much longer than normal. By Thursday this week, I finally only had one exam left which left me time to play in the kitchen and spend some time outside preparing the garden for the summer. It was a much need rest from going over flashcards and more flashcards. 


This week I made Rachael DeVaux's Healthy Twix Bars. I have seen these bars all over Instagram, but never seemed to have the time or enough almond butter around. I try to make smaller batch treats since it gives me an excuse to bake more. I loved that this recipe used a 6x6 pan (I used a random dish) so I knew it would not make too much. These were so easy to make. The only downside is that they require a lot of time to make. You aren't in the kitchen for most of it, but there is a lot of cooling and freezing involved so this is not a last minute process. 

These were a hit with everyone who tried them, so I will definitely be keeping the recipe around. They do not taste like a Twix bar, sorry, but they taste so much better. It is a softer shortbread, and the "caramel" has an almond butter/maple flavor. I just used your classic semi-sweet chocolate chips on top, but I think they would be great with dark chocolate. If you have all of the ingredients around your house, I highly recommend that you try out these bars. 

Until next time, 
Maddie

No comments :

Post a Comment