Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Tuesday's Eats: Birthday Weekend

I am finally done with classes and home for the summer! It is so nice to feel my stress level go down and finally relax for the first time since winter break. At our house, it lines up so that my finals end right when my siblings and I have our birthdays. This year I was so stressed that I completely forgot I had a birthday, but thankfully others remembered for me and took care of things such as the cake. This day is from my brothers birthday and my first day home. Here's what I ate:

Breakfast: Avocado Toast w/ Strawberries, Blueberries, and Raspberries

When I get home from school avocado toast is always one of the first things I eat. Obviously it is really simple, but at school I never buy real avocados, and we also have my favorite spices (Aleppo pepper flakes and sea salt) at home. This is one of my favorite things to eat, and add on a big side of berries means that this becomes the perfect way to start my day. 

Snack: Blueberries and Peanuts

I got a little hungry while waiting for it to be time for lunch so I snacked on some blueberries and peanuts. It is really simple, but that's exactly what I needed. So much stress over the school year messes with my stomach a lot, so simple meals are needed to help me feel better. 

Lunch: Carrot Rhubarb Soup and Roasted Veggies 

I love using local produce whenever I can, and since the rhubarb plant is ready for use I wanted to have fun and experiment with new recipes. My mom and I made this soup from our rhubarb and local carrots we got at the farmers market that morning. It was very carroty but the roasted rhubarb added such a nice flavor. My dad was also playing around with roasting veggies in our new pizza oven, so I had some of those on the side as well. 

 Side: Chips and Salsa

Every time I come home from school I find myself hungry around 5:30 because that is when we have dinner at my sorority, while at home we eat around 7:30. I knew I wanted something savory, so tortilla chips were calling my name. I ended up eating a ton of them, but they were really hitting the spot so that's all that mattered. 

Dinner: Tomato Lime Shrimp w/ Quinoa/Cauliflower Rice Mix and Kale Salad

As this was my brother's birthday, he got to pick what was for dinner. He chose a Mac and cheese that is hard to make gluten free, so I made my own dinner and made sure to eat with the family. I made up the "recipe" for this on my own, based on a bunch of different things I found online. The idea of lime was sounding good to me so I started with that and went from there.  We had local tomatoes and kale at the house, so obviously I needed to find a way to use those. This was a great dinner to have right away being back, and I can't wait to experiment  more in the kitchen. 

Dessert: GF Vanilla Birthday Cake

My mom was sweet enough to make sure to get me a cake for my birthday, even though I complete forgot about it. She ordered it from a nearby bakery that makes these amazing gluten free cakes. I had my first piece on my brothers birthday, not mine (which is the next day) so I could participate in the cake eating activities. I will not lie,  I am not the biggest fan of vanilla frosting so I scraped it all off my piece, but the vanilla cake on the inside was perfect.


Until next time!
xoxo,
Maddie 


No comments :

Post a Comment