Monday, February 12, 2018

10 Healthy Snacks for the Busy College Student

It is inevitable that around 4pm I need a snack. I like to wait until 8ish to eat dinner, so I can't go the whole afternoon without eating. For some reason I start to feel sick if I get hungry. That being said, I always feel worse if I eat something unhealthy. Over the year I have learned about some healthy snacks that are portable and easy for anyone in college to have on hand.

| Celery and Peanut Butter |
This brings back childhood memories on ants on a log... and also of yesterdays snack. You can either make to go by adding the peanut butter on the celery right away, and putting a container in your backpack or you can buy individual serving peanut butter packets. Really anything can be paired with peanut butter: apples, bananas, crackers or dark chocolate.

| Clementines |
Clementines are easy portable fruit. You don't need a container for them and they are hearty enough not to burst during transportation. Really any fruit or veggie is a good idea for a snack. My favorites are blueberries, apples, bananas and carrots.

| Greek Yogurt | 
You will want a way to keep this cold if you are going to be out and about, but no matter way it is a great filling snack for a busy day. Make sure to pick yogurts that don't have too much sugar, but do have a lot of protein. I really like Siggi's yogurt which isn't greek but still really good.

| Veggies and Hummus |
Another filling snack. There are so many different options for portable hummus that there is no reason that this couldn't be a snack. There is also a lot of variation involved because you can pick any type of hummus and veggie to eat. Pita chips or pretzels would also be a great addition.

| Health Warriors Bar |
I love health warrior bars because they don't have so many calories that they become another meal, but they are still filling and good for you. I love their chia bars, especially the chocolate peanut butter flavor. Again, any bar would be a good snack, just make sure it is lower in added sugar and artificial additives because who needs that?

| Popcorn |
Boom Chicka Pop is my favorite popcorn. I just fill a little plastic baggie, and I am good to go. Popcorn is great because it has fiber which will help keep you fuller, but not so much so that you spoil your next meal. With so many different flavors to choose from, and the possibility of making your own flavors, this snack won't get boring too soon.

| Trail Mix |
I love making trail mix because I can control what goes in it, but any type is a good idea for a snack. The nuts help keep you full and add protein, the dried fruit gives you a little extra fruit in your day and of course chocolate is needed. The mixture of sweet and salty creates the perfect snack for anytime of day.

| Pretzels |
I really like pretzels thins because I think they taste better, but really any pretzel is a great snack. They can be combined with dip (like peanut butter or hummus) or just eaten alone. You easily stash some in your backpack for unexpected moments of hunger and not have to worry about them going bad.

| Cheese |
String cheese, cheese slices, cheese curds, cheese cubes... you name it. Cheese is a great snack as it has a fair amount of protein which will help power you through one last lecture or chapter of reading. With cheese, there are so many flavors and combinations with other foods that this snack is limitless in its possibilities.

| Applesauce | 
I always seem to forget how much I like applesauce even though it is a great snack. I recommend buying unsweetened applesauce since the apples already add their own sweetness. Also, adding cinnamon is a fantastic idea; it gives plain applesauce a little boost in taste.

The most important thing to remember when deciding what to eat is to consider how you will feel. If something makes you feel bad, then don't eat it. I know this is easier said than done (I am looking at you, brownies) but in the long run you will feel so much better. All of these snacks are great options whether for in your dorm room or to bring to the library. Nothing is crazy expensive and all are easy to change up so you don't get bored.

What do you like to eat for snack?
xoxo,
Maddie

5 comments :