Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Life Lately

So over two weeks later and I am finally back. I had the great goal of writing a blog post everyday over winter break so I could have a ton to fall back on when I got busy. Yeah, that didn't happen. With having no structure to my day, I did almost nothing. That being said, I still managed to have a great break meeting up with friends and doing the things I can't do at school. (bake)

I baked almost too much. At least every other day I was in the kitchen making muffins, cakes, dessert, etc. My favorite things that I made were Lemon-raspberry muffins I adapted from this recipe and macaron (!).  I have been trying to make macaron for year, and this was the first time it worked out. Here are some of the treats I baked. 

One of the first things I made after Christmas were oatmeal chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies. I love a good oatmeal raisin and so does my dad which made this a treat for us. My mom hates raisin so they don't appear too often in our house. 

I also made several savory lunches and dinners. This was a shrimp scampi pizza that I made the recipe for. It was so good, would you be interested in me sharing the recipe? I also made a great kale and quinoa salad a couple times. 

I have always loved muffins so of course I made three different kinds to freeze and bring back to school with me. I made coffee muffins, morning glory muffins and lemon-raspberry muffins (pictured). I can't wait to eat them this semester. 

The shining moment of my cooking this month was my macaron. It was the first, and then second, time that they actually worked. I have had such bad luck with them in the past. I filled the first batch with 1/2 three-berry buttercream and 1/2 chocolate ganache, and then the second batch was 1/2 strawberry buttercream and 1/2 chocolate butter cream. 

My mom and I also made chocolate covered biscotti. I will never turn down biscotti, but I still don't have it very often. I love my moms biscotti so much that I continuously kept sneaking a few throughout the weeks. 

I also made a chocolate banana bread and chocolate peanut butter muffins. I adored the banana bread since it wasn't too chocolatey, but still delicious. The muffins I didn't like as much, but both of my siblings loved them so that is a plus. 



I also went to Chicago for a weekend to visit my grandparents. I never get to see them alone, so this was a nice treat. I spent part of the day shopping and then I had a great dinner at their house. The next morning we went to Walker Bros. for pancakes which is my favorite place in the world for breakfast. (no exaggeration) Later on I went a super cute patisserie for lunch and got a ham and cheese croissant along with a cappuccino. 

I spent the remainder of my break watching TV shows with my mom (we love The Great British Baking Show and Victoria). As well as reading, lots of reading. I think I read around 7-9 books in a month. Just making up for all I didn't read over the semester I guess. 

Now that the school year has started again I am hoping to get into a schedule where I can set aside a certain amount of time each week for blogging so I don't keep randomly forgetting to write a post. 

See you soon!
xoxo,
Maddie

No comments :

Post a Comment