Friday, July 5, 2019

10 Easy Ways to Get Outside This Summer

There is no better time to be able to enjoy the outdoors than during the summer. As I write this I am sitting on my couch wishing I could be outside doing something other than reading or watching TV. I normally try to be really active and make the most of summer. Until now, I had not realized how many great ways there are to be outside, some I can do right now and some I can't. No matter what your activity level is, there are always ways to be outside and make the most of the weather. 
Eat Al Fresco
Eating outside is my favorite part of summer. My mom and I eat outside for every meal possible. This means almost every day we have breakfast and lunch outside, but rarely dinner. My dad doesn't like to eat outside, and then later in the year the mosquitos get really bad which both mean no outdoor dinners. 

Walk a Dog
No Dog? No Problem, borrow someone else's. I am serious. Walking a dog is such a great way to get outside without spending money or doing anything too strenuous. I really like taking my dog on a walk so I am not walking around alone. If you don't have a dog, I guarantee you know someone who does. Especially if they work, they may love it if you would take their dog on a walk for you. My sisters boyfriend loves dogs, but doesn't have one, so he will come over so they can walk my dog. 

Make an Outdoor Workout
In the week before my surgery I stopped lifting weight in exchange for outdoor HIIT workouts. You can either make up your own, or find a bunch of different workouts online. There is nothing quite like working out outside and getting your sweat on. I find working out is much more fun outdoors anyways. I can never get myself motivated for HIIT at the gym, but I am all for it outdoors. 

Garden
Gardening is an easy way to get outside. You do need some more room to do this if you want to have a large garden, but even something as simple as putting potted plants on your patio can make you go outside. Having your plants outside forces you to leave the house, but at least you need to water them depending on the weather. Gardening is great because it can keep you occupied all summer starting with planting, to weeding, and then to the best part- harvesting. 

Visit Your farmers market
Unless you are brand new to the blog, you know how much I love the farmers market. Heck, I even went to the market two days after my hip surgery. The market is a great place to walk around,  get some food and enjoy the outdoors. You can easily pick up some groceries for the week, or even just grab that days lunch from a food vendor. 

Read Outdoors
I love to read on the beach, but since I don't live near the beach, reading on my patio is the next best option. Pick up a book or magazine and enjoy the outdoors. This idea is as easy as that. 

Go on a Walking Date 
Sick of spending money on coffee or dinner dates, trying going for a walk instead. You can make it an adventure and go hiking, or just keep it simple and walk around a neighborhood. This is a free way to spend time with friends and loved ones that also happens to get you moving and outdoors, what more could you want?

Stargaze
The clear skies of summer lend themselves perfectly for stargazing. Make this night a big night with bonfires, s'mores and stars, or you can simply just turn out the lights and lay on the grass. Stargazing does require cooperating weather but if the stargazing session just turns into s'mores, you'll still end up having a great evening outside. 

Lounge in a Hammock
Lazy days lying on hammocks are a great part of summer. Hammocks are the best when surrounded by friends, or all alone with a good book. If you remember to put on sunscreen, taking a nap is such a great way to spend the afternoon. It would be annoying to wake up with a massive sunburn, but as long as you remember the sunscreen this is a great idea. 

Park Far Away
If none of these options are seeming easily accessible to you, then you can still find ways to be outside. When running errands, you can park at the end of the parking lot and walk. It might not seem like a lot of time outside, but by the time you lower your sunglasses and enjoy some fresh air, you will still be in a better mood. Even running a couple errands can add up more and more time outside. 


How do you like to get outside in the summer?
xoxo,
Maddie

No comments :

Post a Comment