Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Tuesday's Eats: An Easy, Healthy Overnight Trip

One of my favorite trips to take in the summer is little day trips to Door County. I have been going to Door County for as long as I can remember, but there never fails to be something new to do or try (or taste). The thing with these day trips is that they can get expensive if you go out to eat for every meal. This can easily happen when you aren't prepared. I have learned over the years how to pack food to make my trip healthy, delicious and easy. This way I save some money, or at least then go out for nicer food, and I make sure that I feel good the whole time. Here is an example of what I ate on my last little Door County day trip. 


My mom and I got there in time for lunch. We had planned on going out to eat for this meal, so we made our way up to Ephriam to Chef's Hat. I had this tuna salad with berries. I typically get a salad for lunches at restaurants because they are more likely to be gluten free, then if I got anything else. When trying to not go out to eat that often when traveling, I do make sure that whatever I order is something that will fill me up for a while. Sadly, I didn't really like this salad but I still make sure to eat enough to be full. 



 After going on a hike and lounging at a beach, my mom and I were getting hungry. We weren't quite in the mood to go back to my grandparents condo, but we didn't have any snacks with us. We decided we would get tapas at Parador in Egg Harbor. I had the roasted cauliflower with goat cheese, and she got anchovy toasts. This was the highlight of the trip


We always make sure to plan out our meals ahead of time, so this time we brought up black currants, red onion, tomatoes and lettuce with the plan of picking up some sort of fish. This way all we had to pick up was the fish, instead of running around the grocery store buying everything for a meal. We got better quality produce this way, and also saved a bunch of money as the grocery there is expensive. This dinner was really easy and tasty. It was my first time trying currants as well, and I have to say didn't think I would like them as much as I did. 



When going to Door County we hadn't decided if we wanted to eat breakfast out, or stay at home so all we packed for breakfast was peaches. Stopping at our favorite farm market made that choice for us as they had strawberries,  raspberries and cherries. We always buy things on our way home, so we just decided to pick it up a day early and make parfaits instead. For this meal we did buy the granola and yogurt, but it had already been planed to buy Door County Love granola as my mom really likes it. This just meant we had to add yogurt onto our grocery list... not too bad. 


We always make sure to plan to make one lunch, so this time we make pasta salad. We brought up all of the veggies and dried pasta, so all I had to do in the morning was cook the pasta and mix it all together. This could easily have been made the day before as well, but I ran out of time. I love picnics for lunch so we went to Sister Bay for the morning, and ended it with a delightful picnic near the harbor. This goes to show packing a lunch does't need to be hard to be good. 

 Its rare that my mom and I go on any type of trip without going out for coffee or ice cream. This time we both had a sweet tooth after our lunch, so we decided to head farther north to Door County Ice Cream Factory. All of the ice cream there is homemade, which isn't the case for most places around.  I had the mocha chip ice cream and it was to die for. It was so tempting to go back inside to get more ice cream just because it tasted that good. I already know I will be stopping back here on my next trip. 

Planning ahead can help save a lot of time and money when traveling anywhere. Whether it is someplace new or somewhere you've been hundreds of times, bringing some of your own food can make your life so much easier. By mixing up our meals between going out and homemade meals consisting of things from home, it still keeps the trip a treat with the meals out, but also lets you have a couple less expensive meals in the comfort of home or a rental. 

Until next time, 
Madeleine 

No comments :

Post a Comment