Monday, June 10, 2019

Tuesday's Eats: 100% Wisconsin Dinner

Summer is in full swing now with the weather getting nicer and now all of my family is done with school. I have been loving going hiking, being outside and of course the fact that more and more farmers markets are opening up! The best part of the weekend was I got to go to my first concert - Paul McCartney. It was so much fun, and it has made me want to go to all of the concerts around me. Overall all this past week was the perfect introduction to summer. With that, here is all the yummy food I made and ate. 
Breakfast: Oatmeal w/ Carrots, Cauliflower Rice, Cherries, Plums and Maple Syrup

This particular morning the rest of my family was eating waffles for breakfast, so I figured I would make oats so that I could fulfill my maple syrup cravings. I threw in some carrots and leftover cauliflower rice for some veggies and volume. I love adding these two in particularly because they don't add too much flavor, but do have a good texture. I am very impatiently waiting for cherry season to arrive so I have been eating tons of frozen cherries, hence the addition in the oats.


 Lunch: Sweet Potato Salmon Burger w/ Kale Salad and Tomatoes

One of my favorite summer activities is making new recipes for lunch with my mom. We tried this sweet potato salmon burger, but we won't be making it again. It was a little to damp tasting and fragile, and we also already have a good recipe so don't need a subpar version. I did love putting it on a bed of kale with tomatoes. Tomatoes have been my favorite thing to eat recently, but that doesn't surprise me as tomatoes are one of the best summer foods.

Lunch Dessert: Ice Cream

The girls in my family decided to make an ice cream run together after lunch. I got Mackinac Island Fudge which is vanilla ice cream with fudge ripples and fudge chunks. This is always a good choice for whenever I don't know what to get. My favorite ice cream flavors aren't gluten free (go figure) so the past year has meant I've needed to try different flavors. For the first ice cream run of the summer I wanted to stick with a classic, so that's what I enjoyed. 

 Snack: GT Lemonade Kombucha

I don't normally pick up random things to try when I am at the grocery store, but as I mentioned in my spring favorites (read here) I have really been liking kombucha. My store was having a big sale so my mom and I got this flavor to try. I loved how it tasted less sweet than others I've tried, and it also had a more subtle flavor which was appreciated. I end up sipping on kombucha throughout the day instead of drinking it all in one sitting so this was more of an all afternoon snack.

Dinner: Chicken w/ Roasted Potatoes, Tomatoes, Salad and Mushrooms (Morels and King Trumpet) 

At the farmers market this weekend we picked up a local chicken so my mom and I though it would fun to take all of our produce we bought to make a fully Wisconsin dinner. Everything is from either our CSA (greens), farmers market (chicken, tomatoes and mushrooms) or the grocery store (potatoes). Our grocery sells Wisconsin based potatoes so we were able to make that fit in the dinner for a starch. We loved this idea so much that we are hoping to pick a day of the week where every meal will be 100% local! 

Until next week,
Maddie  

1 comment :