Friday, April 17, 2020

52 in 52: Week 15

My big thing that I tried this week was chickpea flour. I have been seeing some recipes recently that I have been interested in, so I decided to get it from the grocery store and have fun experimenting. I guess that is one of the perks of being grain free... my flour is easy to find. One of the things that shocked me about the chickpea flour was how cheap it was. Compared to almond and cassava flour, chickpea flour is substantially cheaper. Once I picked up the flour, the cooking began. 


The first thing I tried to make was Socca. I have heard about it before, and after looking through some of my mom's French cookbooks I decided to try it out. I was also making shakshuka that morning, which involved using my cast iron skillet and I think this made a big difference. My Socca turned out soft, and I am 99% sure that it is supposed to be crispy. This was probably because I just made it on the stove top, and it in a standard pan. I did really love the taste though, so I am planning on trying it out again. If I can figure out how to make it crispy, I know that this will be a staple in my diet. 


I then tried to make chocolate chip cookies with chickpea flour. To start, I did not really like these cookies but I also think I might have messed up the recipe. I know other people who have made these and said they were some of the best gluten free cookies they've had so I will be trying these, or something similar again. I also will flatten out the cookies more before I bake them next time. I think that the centers were a little undercooked, which lead to it still having a bean-y taste. I will make sure to report back if I find a cookie recipe that I like, but as of now, maybe chickpea flour isn't meant for cookies. 

If there are any chickpea flour recipes that you like, let me know! 

Until next time, 
Maddie 

No comments :

Post a Comment