Friday, April 10, 2020

52 in 52: Week 14

This week I tried Fishermans eggs. It is a sardine mix that is topped with an egg. I used this recipe from Sophisticated Caveman, but instead of using tomatoes (which I didn't have) for red peppers. I served this for breakfast on top of spinach (instead of arugula) along side a piece of toast and a blood orange. 


I have several thoughts on this recipe. First, the recipe way over shot how long the egg should be cooked for in the oven. My whites got really rubbery and the yoke was starting to get too cooked once I pulled it out at 7 minutes. Second, tomatoes would be much better than red peppers because the dish could have used the added liquid. It was a little dry without tomatoes or the runny egg yoke. 

One thing I did add after taking the pictures was capers. Any bites without olives seemed to be missing something. Adding the capers gave a much needed acidity to the dish while keeping true to the Mediterranean flavors. 

All of this being said, I still liked this meal. I would not put this recipe as one of my favorites, but I definitely want to try it again with all of the proper ingredients. I am also going to make it as a lunch not a breakfast. Not that it is a big deal, it just felt like I was eating a lunch... probably because I don't think of fish as my typical breakfast food. 

Would you try something like this for breakfast? 

xoxo, 
Maddie

No comments :

Post a Comment