Monday, November 16, 2015

Oh My Apple Pie

Hey guys so I thought it would be fun to have a guest blogger post this week so here is a recipes from the The French Bread Girl. This is my mom's blog and she loves to post really good recipes, so if you ever want something to make, this should be your go to. This post is about her apple pie which is one of my all time favorite desserts that she makes. Please comment if you want more types of posts like this (food, guests etc...) and go check out the The French Bread Girl blog!
 
**********************************************
Apple pie is one of my favorite types of pie. Last weekend I purchased the last of the local apples, about 1 bushel worth.  I know I'll be making apple desserts, sauce and baked apples for the next month or so.  I don't remember where I got  this recipe for apple pie but it is a family favorite.  I like to use a combination of Macintosh and Cortland apples, but you can use what you have on hand. I won't lie for this pie in the picture I used the Pillsbury roll out crust.  When I do have time I like to make a homemade crust, but that really wasn't in the cards last weekend.  If you like to have a double crust pie don't make my butter and sugar topping.  Enjoy the recipe below or just be inspired to play in your kitchen and make some delicious treats for fall.
 
Pie filling and the 2 1/2 bushels in the background.
 
right out of the oven
 
For the Filling:
Peel and slice 7 large apples.  Combine the apples with 1/3 c sugar, 1/4 c AP flour, 1 tsp lemon juice, 2 tsp vanilla extract and spices to taste. (cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice)

Add the apple mixture to the crust.

For the topping:
Combine 1 cup AP flour, 1/2 cup sugar and a combination of the same spices listed above or none at all.  Add 1/4 tsp salt.  Mix all together and add 6 T of butter cut into bits.  I like to combine the mixture with my hands until it becomes small pea sized bits.  Add on top of the apples.

Bake for 20 minutes at 450 degrees and then reduce to 350 degrees and continue cooking for 35-40 minutes.

Bon Appétit!

No comments :

Post a Comment