Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Tuesday's Eats: Too Much Produce?

This week has better a little different for me as my family went on vacation so I have been just cooking for myself. I wasn't able to go with them this year since I still am not allowed to fly after surgery. I've really been loving the chance to spend some time alone and also just to cook for myself. One thing I wasn't expecting was to be overloaded with so many veggies. Between the farmers market, our CSA and garden there are too many veggies, especially leafy greens, for one person to possibly consume. This day is just full of me trying to each as much produce as possible. 

Breakfast: Zucchini Oatless Oats (recipe) w/ Strawberries and a Peach 

I am been eating scrambled eggs with kale almost daily, but I really didn't want to eat scrambled eggs again this morning. Coming up with breakfast ideas that are high protein but not eggs is hard for me. This oatless oatmeal still involves egg whites, but it at least doesn't taste like it. It was also a great way to use up zucchini and strawberries I had lying around. The recipe seems so weird, but it was surprisingly good. 

Lunch: Shrimp w/ Kale, Roasted Cauliflower, Edamame, Cucumber, Tomato and Red Pepper

Lunches are where I really go for trying to eat a lot of veggies. As you've seen before, I chose a protein source and then make a salad around it. We had leftover red pepper from something my sister made so it wasn't local and the edamame was frozen, but other than that everything is from around me... even the cauliflower! 

All Afternoon: Kombucha

It has been so hot recently that I have needed to drink tons of water. When it gets warm I've found I'll drink more if I change up my beverages. This week I had a lot of iced tea, iced coffee, infused water and kombucha. Today was kombucha for a treat, but I have been liking to make infused waters with the remnants of leftover fruits and cucumber. As much as I love kombucha, I don't love spending the money so infused water is a cheap way to change it up. 

Snack: Yogurt w/ Flaxseeds, Strawberries and Cherries

 I was starting to get hungry about an hour before I wanted to start making dinner so I just cut up cherries and strawberries, added a dollop of Greek Yogurt and then sprinkled on flaxseeds to make a small, balanced snack. I was so excited to find cherries at my farmers market this weekend that I couldn't stop myself from buying more produce. Door County cherries are still a little bit aways seasonally, but these were grown near me and managed to hit the spot. 

Dinner: Chicken Tacos w/ Cassava Tortillas, Tomatoes  and "Broccomole" (recipe)  along with Greens sautéed in Salsa

I have been loving the website Well and Good recently, and the other day I found the recipe for the Broocomole. I was skeptical, but had leftover steamed broccoli to use up. I also wanted to try my new tortillas from Sieste Foods, so I figured tacos would be the best way to use both. These tacos were really easy. I just cooked some chicken in spices and then added the toppings. In attempt to use up some kale and Swiss chard I had around the house, I just decided to sauté it in salsa to keep with the Mexican theme. I thought it would be weird but it turned out to be really good. I will definitely be making it again next time I have tacos. 

Dessert: Bruleed Peach w/ Vanilla Ice Cream 

I have been eating so many peaches recently (no complaints here). I was really wanting some dessert. These peaches were just but under the broiler with a little melted butter and sugar on top. It was a super simple, summery dessert that is both relatively healthy while still fulfilling my craving for something sweet after dinner. 

Until next time, 
Maddie 

No comments :

Post a Comment